IP Due Diligence
Patentability & Infringement Analysis
J.D, Northwestern Law School, Cum Laude, Order of the COIF
B.S.E.E. Electrical Engineering, Korea University
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Ms. Shin has decades of experience in counseling clients for procuring and protecting valuable intellectual property assets relating to various technologies such as consumer electronics, display devices, light emitting diode devices, cellular communication technologies, software products, medical devices, video coding techniques, and more.
Ms. Shin has extensive patent prosecution experience in the electrical and mechanical engineering fields and focuses her practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Ms. Shin’s experience also includes comprehensive patent portfolio management, patentability and infringement analysis, and patent due diligence.
In addition, Ms. Shin has handled post-grant reviews and patent enforcements. Her work in this area makes her well suited to recognize the interplay of patent issues, allowing her the ability to strike the right balance in the practices of patent prosecution, post-grant reviews and enforcements.
Prior to joining her colleagues at Guntin & Gust, Ms. Shin honed her skills first at Brinks, Gilson & Lione PC (now Crowell Moring), before moving to Dinsmore & Shohl LLP and most recently at Burris Law PLLC.
Post Grant Review Experience
- Ex Parte Reexamination Nos. 90/015,090 (USP 8,953,405), 90/015,091 (USP 9,502,612) and 90/015,092 (USP 8,941,137) Representing the Third Party Requester.
- United Patents, Inc., v. Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology et al., IPR2019-00725 (USP 9,838,720B2) Represented the Patent Owners.
- Barn Light Electric Company, LLC v. Jeffrey Ohai, Case IPR2017-00145 (USP 9,234,651)(Lead Counsel) Represented the Third Party Requester in the successful petition to institute inter partes review and all claims canceled.
- ZTE Corporation and ZTE (USA) Inc. v. Contentguard Holdings Inc., IPR2013-00133 (USP 7,523,072), IPR2013-00136(USP 7,359,884), IPR2013-00137 (USP 6,963,859), IPR2013-00138 (USP 7,139,736), and IPR2013-00139 (USP 7,269,576) Represented the Third Party Requester in petition to institute inter partes review, handle full trial proceedings, and argue before the PTAB
- Inter Partes Reexamination Nos. 95/002,101 (USP 6,991,666) and 95/002, 102 (7,600,292) Represented the Third Party Requester, argued before the PTAB and canceled most of claims.
- Inter Partes Reexamination Nos. 95/001,002 (USP 6,422,595) and 95/001,103 (USP 6,397,136) Represented the Third Party Requester in reexamination and canceled most of claims.
- Ex Parte Reexamination Nos. 90/010,201, 90/010,713 and 90/010,735 (USP 7,013,284) Represented the Patent Owner in the merged reexamination.
- Ex Parte Reexamination Nos. 90/008,352 and 90/010,035 (USP 6,712,387) Represented the Third Party Requester in the merged reexamination and canceled all of claims.
- Ex Parte Reexamination No. 90/008,348 and Inter Partes Reexamination 95/001,011 (USP 6,325,414) Represented the Third Party Requester in the merged reexamination and canceled all of claims.